First Day in Kuala Lumpur

September 14, 2017

Here we are! After 2 train rides (Basel – Como, Como – Malpensa airport), 3 flights (Malpensa – Zurich, Zurich – Bangkok, Bangkok – Kuala Lumpur), and 2 nights spent on the way (one in Como and one in the plane from Zurich to Bangkok), we made it to KL! (In retrospect, maybe it wasn’t the best idea to make our trip so complicated. But at the time we planned it, it seemed like a good idea. Daniel explains the reasons for this complicated route in his blog post.)

Unfortunately, my luggage didn’t make it here. In fact, we have no idea where it is. It very likely didn’t leave Malpensa, but nobody knows for sure. I thought such things didn’t happen anymore nowadays. Or actually, I knew that they could happen theoretically, but in practice I hadn’t heard of it happening to anyone. My luggage got lost on a few other trips before, but then it could always be tracked and I knew when I would get it back. Now it’s MIA and, despite a lot of calls to the Bangkok airport and to the Swiss hotline, no one knows where it is, or, for that matter, if anyone is actually looking for it. No need to say that I’m quite frustrated that, at the beginning of our 6-month trip, my luggage just disappears. Plus, there is a lot of irony in the fact that, after all the planning of the packing, the shopping for things before the trip and the (many!) hours spent actually packing and unpacking, the result of all that effort just disappears off the face of the Earth. There is probably some lesson to be learned here…

Anyway, the good side of it is that I had an excuse to spend our whole first day here shopping in the biggest mall in Kuala Lumpur – and probably the biggest one that I’ve ever seen in my (rather extensive) shopping experience. You could literally find anything there, although, for the international brands, at prices very similar to the ones in Switzerland, which makes me wonder how many of the people living in KL can afford to shop there. I guess enough to keep the mall going. For my part, I stocked up on the things I needed most urgently. For the rest, I’ll still wait a few days to see if the luggage shows up.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Go top